maandag 11 maart 2013

An ambitious project: Grizedale sculpture

I have been asked to make a sculpture to display during my exhibition in Grizedale visitor centre cafe in the Lake District. The Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal is helping me to push my development by asking me to make a big sculpture, bigger than I normally make.
Just the size would make it a challenging project for me, because it requires different materials and therefor a different way of thinking; out of my comfort zone.
I normally make sculptures that would fit in a square box of 30cm each side, often with bones as a base and air drying clay to connect and shape the sculpture. However, with this project there are two main reasons why making a bigger sculpture means new challenges. First, it would be too expensive and time consuming to use the same clay, so I am using plaster, which is a stiff but more breakable material than I am used to. Second, I use bigger and heavier bones and bike parts, especially the bike parts break off easily.
I have made this project even more ambitious to try and find a visually pleasing way to combine bones, rubbish and a playful style. So far thinking of combining work of Henri Moore with Roadrunner or Boccioni with The Ren & Stimpy show. So far this resulted in two models:


These models help me to bridge the gap a bit between my comfort zone and where I am heading. The sculpture will be a mix of elements of both models. I already had a moment of 'this is not going to work', but solved the problem! The whole structure was getting to heavy and connecting the bike parts was a nightmare, so I created two triangles to keep it all in place and it actually improved the design! So far I have been working on the front wheel and am looking for new bike parts to start the second bit.


The challenge now is how to create a cone that is strong and stiff enough so the plaster on it won't crack and can be connected to the rest without compromising the looks..... I feel there is another moment of 'this is not going to work' coming up.... To be continued!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten