vrijdag 1 juni 2012

Sheep as a symbol

I have been using sheep bones and skulls a lot as most people of you already know. The nice thing of particular using these is that my work is also about mindless following. I want to raise awareness for the pitfalls of our society where consuming, buying, owning are the substitutes for religion. We sort of follow these marketing machines as if they would have morals and ethics as a core business, they don't. They only tell what we want to no, that we can buy this crap and deserve to own it, because the want to sell. So we follow these companies and follow others who are following them, like mindless sheep.

I also created a few Transformers orientated sculptures that express this marketing and the 'wannahave' culture. You may now that in the Transformers story there are two sides; The Autobots and The Decepticons. Now, after a discussing on Facebook, thought it would be a good time to create the third group: The Followers.



Although, it makes me also feel a bit weird, because I follow things, stuff, people on Facebook and Twitter. Maybe I'm just a sheep with a different colour?
Anyway, I am still tempted to make a transformer that actually transforms out of a real sheep skull, which I intended with this sculpture, 'More Than Meets the Eye'


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten